Frequently Asked Question

What Expenses Are Eligible for Tax-Free Reimbursement From My HSA?

Last updated: September 20, 2019


Your HSA dollars may be used on a tax-free basis for qualified medical expenses incurred by you, your spouse or your dependent children.

Qualified medical expenses include payments for medical services rendered by physicians, surgeons, dentists and other medical practitioners. They also include the costs of equipment, supplies and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes. Medical care expenses must be primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental disability or illness. They don’t include expenses that are merely beneficial to general health, such as vitamins or a vacation. In addition, the following insurance premiums may be reimbursed from an HSA on a tax-free basis:

  • Health care continuation premiums (for example, COBRA premiums)
  • Health insurance premiums while receiving unemployment benefits
  • Qualified long-term care premiums
  • Any health insurance premiums paid, other than for a Medicare supplemental policy, by individuals ages 65 and over


Recently updated FAQs

Does the EAP program have any limitations?

While LifeWorks offers a broad range of services, they may…

Learn the answer

When is the right time to call my EAP?

That’s up to you. Counselors with your EAP are here…

Learn the answer

What Does My EAP Cover?

Typical issues addressed by your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) include…

Learn the answer